The purpose of this position is to properly classify/issue business licenses, maintain license and tax accounts, review/verify all collections, accurately post all money received to proper account, and provide assistance and instruction to the public.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Provides business license and tax information, instruction, and assistance to the public in person or by telephone.
2. Explains business license process to customers; assists customers in completion of business license applications; instructs public on use and computation of applicable tax forms; calculates business license fees; refers to city revenue code to determine proper license classification schedule for each business; issues business licenses.
3. Explains alcoholic beverage application process to applicant or representative; instructs applicant in completion of alcoholic beverage application/affidavit.
4. Prepares monthly tax invoices and/or credits; prepares business license invoices.
5. Calculates, posts, and balances tax, license, or other payments.
6. Corresponds with taxpayers on delinquent tax collections.
7. Maintains confidentiality of all financial and other restricted information relating to business license and/or tax accounts.
8. Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable laws/regulations and city/state revenue codes; maintains knowledge of city limits/boundaries; maintains professional affiliations; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned. Employees may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of City of Alabaster rules, policies, and procedures
Knowledge of State of Alabama laws and regulations applicable to municipal revenue collections
Ability to make mathematical computations in an accurate and timely manner
Skill in the use of prescribed computer software
Skill in the use of various office equipment, e.g., copier, adding machine, fax machine, computers
Writing skills to prepare correspondence, reports and related documents
Ability to multi-task
Ability to prioritize and organize work
Ability to make moderately complex decisions in accordance with policies
Customer service skills
Ability to exercise sound judgment within the scope of responsibility
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and the public.
Required – High school diploma / GED. Two years experience in administrative support with an emphasis on revenue and tax processing or customer service. Possession of or the ability to readily obtain certification through the Alabama Municipal revenue Officers Association. Preferred – Certified Municipal Revenue Officer (CMRO) designation preferred. Physical Requirements
Frequent sitting, using hands, talking, and hearing; occasional standing, walking, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, and kneeling. Up to 25 pounds occasionally; up to 50 pounds rarely Ability to read information both in print and electronically. Application Special Instructions