VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Of special distinction, the village was recently named one of the "Top Ten Best Places to Live" by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's "Best Illinois Cities for Jobs" and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Maintenance 1 (Engineering & Public Works) – Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
SALARY: $26.04 per hour or dependent on contract language based on a 40-hour work week. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the EPW Local 150 collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs manual work of an unskilled to semi-skilled nature which requires some special training or experience. Work consists of maintaining and repairing public works facilities and operating a truck with snow plow and other equipment requiring special skills. Instructions and training are received at the beginning of each new job or task.
To succeed in this role applicants will need to effectively communicate to people inside and outside the organization. We are looking for a team member that can prioritize requests and responsibilities with accuracy and in safety and have the ability to shift gears comfortably.
1. Performs general laborer duties.
2. Performs a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance work and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, repair, maintenance and replacement of Village infrastructure.
3. Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance activities, work completed, etc.
4. Drive a 58,000 pound GVWR truck hauling gravel, fill, or other material or plowing snow; services trucks and other equipment.
5. Performs Snow and Ice control duties and assists in emergencies such as floods and wind or rainstorms.
6. Performs minor maintenance and custodial work in the care of Village-owned buildings, grounds, and facilities.
7. Thorough knowledge of the Department’s Standard Operating Procedures and Safety Practices.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
Operates other motorized equipment as needed. Maintains records, inventory supply lists, and log entries.
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
2. Some experience and knowledge of general maintenance and construction work.
3. If working in the Sanitary Sewer division, ability to obtain the National Association of Sewer Service Companies (NASSCO) certification to practice PACP, LACP, and MACP required within two years from date of hire.
4. Possession of a valid State of Illinois Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or ability to obtain within six months from date of hire.
5. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
Ability to establish good working relationships.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Subject to high levels of noise for an extended period of time.
2. Subject to extremes of temperature for prolonged periods or abrupt changes in temperature.
3. Subject to fumes or disagreeable odors.
4. Subject to extended periods of isolation.
5. Subject to exposure to inclement weather conditions.
6. Subject to working in wet, dirty, dusty, hot, humid, and/or cold conditions in high vehicle traffic areas.
7. Physical strength and agility sufficient to do strenuous laboring tasks under varying weather conditions. Ability to lift and move 75 pounds or more on a frequent basis.
8. Ability to operate a 90 pound jackhammer.
9. Frequent contact with the public; must be able to effectively communicate verbally and demonstrate good customer relations.
10. Frequently completes written technical forms; must be able to communicate effectively in writing.
11. Frequent and/or prolonged bending, stooping, standing, pulling, pushing, or reaching.
12. Prolonged periods of concentration while driving a truck during snow and ice control operations.
13. Occasionally works at heights/depths of 10 to 60 feet above or below the ground.
14. Subject to frequently changing walking surfaces.
15. Subject to working for extended periods of time; 12 hours normally and 18 hours infrequently for several consecutive days.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER